Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Been a long while

I haven't updated this in a long time... sorry.  We've been pretty crazy around here for the past week or so.  First of all, my Contemporary Ireland prof was in town, so we actually had classes and visited different sites in Dublin like Kilmainham Gaol, the Book of Kells, and the National Museum.  After that, the parents came into town.  A lot of fun, but very crowded here at the YWCA.  Usually, we only have 30-35 people here, but with the parents we were hitting 70.  There were people everywhere, and it was very loud here for a while.  But I got to show my mom and aunt Lynette around Greystones and Dublin.  We visited several sites in Dublin, saw a show in the theatre, had a nice Italian dinner, ate in a pub, and had many other adventures.

One of which was the drive to Kilkenny to see the castle there.  My mom and aunt Lynette decided to rent a car on our free day and drive to this little tourist town in the middle-of-nowhere Ireland.  That day, I nearly died... seriously.  It's been several years since my aunt drove in Europe, and here in Ireland, all their cars are manual, and they drive on the left side of the road!  Let's just say there were several close calls involving semis on country roads and crazy traffic "diversions."  But we made it there and back alive and without too many problems, besides a broken-down cake delivery truck.  All in all, a very fun, busy week.

Now, we're all going crazy trying to catch up on all our homework.  I was able to finish a few papers today, and I plan on doing a lot more tomorrow.  That way, I should have a free day on Friday before being on cooking duty all Sat/Sun.  Things are settling down again around here, so here we go again!

No comments: