Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Great Kayaking Adventure... or maybe misadventure!!!

Yesterday we hiked Brayhead for the sunrise... which means that I had to get up at 5:45!  Not fun, but the view from the top of the mountain was incredible.  The moon was still in the West, just over the giant cross that is at the summit of the mountain.   And then the sun rose with brilliant yellows, reds, and oranges.   It was just gorgeous!  We sang worship songs and hung out up there until we got cold.  The hike back was gorgeous as well.  It's just a beautiful area.  Then we went on our second pick-a-date to the Symphony.  I really enjoyed it, but with the early morning I had a hard time staying awake.

Today, I went kayaking with my friend Grant.  We put the boats in the little cove right near the Y and headed south.  We were moving along and then drifted out on the ocean for a while just talking and enjoying our time.  A seal stuck its head out about 10 ft away from our boats and stared at us for a little while!  It was really enjoyable until we tried to head back.  We paddled for about twenty minutes and went... backwards!  We literally were further from Greystones even after paddling in that direction for 20 minutes!  So we finally pulled into the beach and started carrying the kayaks, and let me tell you, these things are HEAVY.  We hauled them up over the wall of boulders and started carrying them one at a time about 50 ft. before we had to rest.  And it was about a 3-4 mile walk back to the Y!

Fortunately, a kind Irish couple walking along the beach decided to take pity on the poor American students.  They knew Josh Barrington, an Irish boy that hangs out with us, and knew of Taylor.  So they told us to pull into this Dart stop that was one further down from the Greystones stop (the Dart line runs along the ocean).  We walked the kayaks back to the beach and put in again, letting the current carry us to the next dart stop.  The couple pulled in with a trailer and loaded up our kayaks, taking us back to the Y.  They really did save us!  We would probably still be out there carrying kayaks if not for them.

The Irish are really friendly, always willing to help.  These people didn't even know our names when they offered to help us.  I wish it was the same way in America.  Anyway, that was an awesome adventure even if I ache all over from carrying those things.  Tonight I'm in the process of packing up my stuff.  We took down all our decorations, and I just packed one suitcase.  I'm struggling with fitting into the 50 lbs. weight limit... I might just have to leave clothes here.  Anyway, I'll see everybody soon!  I'll arrive Tuesday at 3:30 in O'Hare airport.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Misadventure it is not ...think about what made it the adventure it was! Haha it sounds like alot of fun, you know what else is fun chocolate chip cookies (dough). Keeping having many adventures while you can because I can't wait to here about them.